This blog is a terrible idea
No one is more surprised than I am to find myself launching a blog.
Politicians keeping a blog – or tweeting, or otherwise oversharing their momentary musings – is a terrible idea, politically speaking.
I know there’s a lot of hype around social media and politics, and some if it is well-deserved (though not all of it). But if you’re not running for President, some of this stuff just doesn’t scale down very well. I’ve always said social media would destroy more political careers than it would enhance. Thus far, I’ve generally been proven right.
Reasons this blog is a terrible idea:
- Probably no one will read it;
- Scratch that - one person will definitely read it: the opposition researcher for my next political opponent;
- I have not noticed that the Internet is generally lacking in content;
- I don’t really have time for this;
- I have always said politicians should talk less and listen more, and that is especially true in my case;
- I will almost certainly say things I will later regret.